2021 Annual Conference – Call for special sessions
“Accelerating Climate Action: A just transition in a post-Covid era” is the title of the SISC 9th Annual Conference, taking place on September 22nd-24th, 2021.
Due to the COVID-19 virus, all sessions of Accelerating Climate Action Conference will be held exclusively online!
The Conference aims at connecting leading scientists, researchers, economists, practitioners, business leaders, and policy makers, whose activities are focused on different aspects of climate change, its impacts and related policies.
The Conference is an important interdisciplinary platform for the presentation of new advances and research results in the fields of science and management of climate change.
The Call for special sessions is now open!
We invite you to submit the proposal for the Special session on the following topics by,
May 21st, 2021 May 28th, 2021.
Topics of interest for submission include:
1. One health and climate change: multidisciplinary approaches and solutions
2. Climate trends: changes in means and extreme events in observations, simulations and projections
3. Predicting the evolution of the Earth system
4. Glaciers, ice sheets, sea–ice: climate of the past and future tipping points
5. Climate related impacts on natural and human systems
6. Risks and adaptation options in a warmer world
7. Urban areas: assessing, predicting and managing the current and future risk
8. Climate services and their potential to support adaptation and risk management
9. Climate policies and transition pathways in the context of sustainable development
10. Climate action: Equity and distributional implications
11. Mitigation technologies for ambitious climate targets
12. Big data, technology innovations, artificial intelligence and climate challenges
Special Session rules
Special sessions aim to highlight current research on a conference topic. Special sessions will consist of three to four papers connected by a unifying theme. The Programme Committee will select a limited number of proposed Special Sessions based on scientific quality and originality. The proposed abstracts for these sessions will undergo the normal refereeing process; only abstract that are approved will be included in the programme. The special sessions will run in parallel in much the same way as regular Parallel Sessions.
- Special Session organiser(s) must commit to attending SISC Conference and to chairing the specific Special Session.
- Special Session organiser(s) are also fully responsible for ensuring that the session contributors are aware of and follow the rules below.
- There are no earmarked financial resources to support Special Sessions.
- All nominated participants in a Special Session have to pay the SISC conference registration fees. All nominated participants of special Sessions are to be registered by July 23rd, 2021.
The application for the special session must contain:
a) short description of the theme and an explanation how the papers are connected and how they jointly relate to the theme
b) the motivation
c) Title, author names, and a 100-word abstract for EACH of the papers included in the session (make sure that paper titles and authors are consistent with the abstract submissions)
If a Special Session is not approved, any accepted papers will be included in the parallel sessions.
The deadline for the submission of proposals for Special Sessions AND abstracts submissions via conference website is May 28th, 2021.
Notification of the decision by the Programme Committee is scheduled for June 30th, 2021.
28 May 2021: deadline for submission of abstracts
30 June 2021: notification of acceptance
23 July 2021: deadline for online registration for presenters
30 Aug 2021: Preliminary programme
22-24 Sep 2021: 9th SISC Annual Conference